May 29, 2015

Surprising Sonyea State Forest



Normally for Memorial Day I go on a crazy 1,000 mile road trip but I’ve now run out of National Park sites in that radius and there was too many things to do in town so I decided to stay home. However, I had to do something to assuage my road trip guilt so I decided to head down to the Sonyea State Forest, solely based on looking at a map and determining it was fairly close and I had never been there before. I had always driven past the Sonyea exit on the highway but this time I exited and found my way down a gnarly dirt road. The forest is DEC land which means its just preserved, there’s no development of anything.  
As I was traveling down the dirt road I was getting nervous because some of the potholes were pretty massive but I navigated around and eventually came to a stop sign leading into the woods. The road kept going buy my nerves were shot so I decided that was as good a place as any to disembark. The trail follows along the top of a ridge in the forest and then goes steeply downhill where you then hike at the bottom of the ridge along Keshequa Creek.
 
After hiking through the woods I saw a trail cutting off towards the creek and as I emerged I saw a towering cliff now stood above the little creek and it was so unexpected that I stopped in my tracks. I had no idea the beauty this little state forest was holding. After exploring a bit I went back to the main trail and took a couple more spurs off to the creek where there was waterfalls, swimming holes and more rocks and cliffs. The geology of the area was really fascinating and not at all what I had envisioned. I had my foster dog Rita with me so we only went about 3.5 miles round trip but I would definitely go back again to explore more of stunning Sonyea State Forest.







No comments:

Post a Comment