May 20, 2015

Golden Gate Park and the Presidio



Japanese Garden

Wednesday was a pretty laid back day. I started out in Golden Gate Park. It is 20 percent larger than Central Park in New York so there was plenty to see. I strolled by the carousel to check out its strange creatures like emus and tigers. Alas it wasn’t open but it was neat to see something besides horses. I went into the Japanese Tea Garden because admission was free before 10:00am. It was a serene spot to stroll around and check out the landscaping and water features. I drove down to the bison paddock but there weren’t too many bison out. I did however find this sign which I found absolutely hysterical. 
Say what!?
 I checked out two windmills which were once used to pump subterranean water to supply the park but now are just decorative. 
I then emerged onto Ocean Beach which is a long undeveloped stretch of beach. I strolled along the ocean and watched the dogs frolicking in the ocean. 

Ocean Beach


I drove up to Lands End visitor center and walked along the Coastal trail to see the Sutro Historic District. It was once a swimming pool complex but now lies in ruin. 

Sutro Baths

I continued along the Coastal trail from the Sutro Baths to Point Lobos which was absolutely gorgeous. It was my favorite viewpoint of the trail.
Point Lobos
After eating my picnic lunch I strolled back to my car and drove to Baker Beach. I could see all the way across to the Point Bonita Lighthouse where I was on Monday.


Point Bonita
I started wandering down closer to the bridge and was wondering why there weren’t more people taking advantage of the great viewpoint. I quickly realized however that the beach was a nude beach and there were some sunbathers basking. I was astonished but only because it couldn’t have been higher than 60 degrees with the windchill. Brr!








I drove into the Presidio of San Francisco to check out several different viewpoints but I was getting pretty tired of the bridge and ocean at this point.
Cemetery in the Presidio
I ended up driving back to Baker Beach later that evening to take in the sunset. It was chilly but it was beautiful

 

No comments:

Post a Comment