December 5, 2012

Southern Thanksgiving



This year my Thanksgiving roadtrip was a bit different because A) I flew and B) I stayed with friends and family. How novel!  I left Thanksgiving day and enjoyed blue clear skies and great flights to Charlotte, NC. The pilot was great at pointing out landmarks along the way and it was great to see so much of our beautiful country. I stayed in a hotel Thursday evening because by the time I got in and got my rental car it was already dark. I set out on a quest to find sustenance but everything was closed. I know its Thanksgiving but people still need to eat! I finally found a beacon of hope that was Walgreen’s where I had a Lunchable for Thanksgiving dinner. Yum.
Friday morning I was up and out driving down the Uwharrie Scenic Road on my way to Greensboro. I went to the Guilford Courthouse National Military Park which commemorates the Battle of Guilford Court House, fought on March 15, 1781. This battle opened the campaign that led to American victory in the Revolutionary War. The losses by the British in this battle contributed to their surrender at Yorktown seven months later. 
There’s a 2 1/4-mile self-guiding automobile tour with stops along the way. The park is located in Greensboro and seemed to be more of a community park so there were a lot of people out exercising but it was still a neat place to visit and check out some monuments.
William Hooper and John Penn, two of North Carolina's three signers of the Declaration of Independence, are buried under the Signers' Monument.
General Nathanael Green
 I drove the scenic back roads to the Wallace residence in Morrisville, NC. I finally got to meet baby Sam! 
He was born in August and is so adorable. Marlene also redeemed my pitiful Thanksgiving meal with an actual Thanksgiving feast that was delicious! Saturday we went to check out Jordan Lake and Duke University. 
 
Duke is so beautiful and reminded me of Hogwarts somewhat. 
 
I’ve really missed having Kurt and Marlene around so it was nice to spend some time with them again, and of course baby Sam!

No comments:

Post a Comment