December 17, 2012

Carolina Mountains



 
Wednesday I headed out to Kings Mountain National Military Park. The park commemorates the Battle of Kings Mountain, a pivotal and significant victory by American Patriots over American Loyalists during the Southern Campaign of the Revolutionary War. 
 I got there just as it opened and walked the Battlefield Trail. Its 1.5 miles and allows you to see both perspectives of the battlefield. I really liked how it climbed up to the top of the mountain where you got a good view of the valley.
   
The park adjoins Kings Mountain State Park, which has a really neat living history farm. There wasn’t much going on since it was November but it was still a pretty little farm to walk around and see a barn, cotton gin, blacksmith, and carpenter shop. 
There’s also a trail over to Lake Crawford which is a scenic little lake. 
 
On my hike over I came across a policeman with a bloodhound but he just wished me a good day and continued on his way so I’m not sure what they were looking for (not me thank goodness). Crowders Mountain State Park is also close by so I drove over and did some more hiking. The mountain itself is a monadnock, an isolated erosional remnant that rises abruptly from the surrounding plain so its very pretty.
  
My last stop of the day was at James Polk Memorial Site. This site is located on land once owned by the parents of James K. Polk, the 11th U.S. president and is a state run facility. 
I never knew much about Polk so it was a really interesting stop. Apparently no one else does either as Polk has been called the "least known consequential president" of the United States. Scholars have ranked him favorably on the list of greatest presidents for his ability to set an agenda and achieve all of it. 
There’s a log house, separate kitchen, and barn that I got a private guided tour of. I thought the separate kitchen was interesting because that’s something not seen up north. 
 
Driving back to the airport I noticed a Sonny’s BBQ joint which I was first introduced to in Florida and I was so excited as its so yummy! I got a meal to go and took it with me to enjoy in the airport. I had a really great trip and a special thanks to the Wallace’s and to Alicia for taking me in, feeding me, and showing me around. It was much appreciated!

No comments:

Post a Comment