December 7, 2012

Carl Sandburg



 Sunday I headed south and spent some time on the Overmountain Victory National Historic Trail. I didn’t see anything historic but it was nice to get off the highway. Plus I finally got to see mountains again! Not the snow capped Rockies but still nice to see some elevation. 
Before heading into SC I stopped at the Carl Sandburg Home National Historic Site in Flat Rock, NC. I had never heard of him but he was was an American writer and editor, best known for his poetry. He was the recipient of three Pulitzer Prizes: two for his poetry and another for his biography of Abraham Lincoln. 
What was really interesting about this home is that the family literally walked out in 1968 after Carl died and the house and everything in it was left as is. There are Kleenex boxes and half smoked cigars laying around. 
I love the vintage kitchen!
The family was also avid readers so there were many bookcases filled with books.
The other thing Connemara is known for is the goat dairy. Mrs. Sandburg owned and operated a premier goat dairy from 1935 to 1965. The milk was distributed to local dairies and sold in stores around the community. Mrs. Sandburg's goat breeding program produced champion goats and led to the improvement of goats as milk producing animals. The park raises goats that are descendents of the three breeds of goats Mrs. Sandburg raised at Connemara. 
 I did a short hike around Little Glassy Mountain and then watched the sunset over the pond. It was a gorgeous home and property and a really secluded spot to relax at.
Sunday night I headed into Spartanburg, SC where I met up with my friend Alicia who I went to RIT with. I hadn’t seen her since she graduated so it was great to catch up.

No comments:

Post a Comment