October 28, 2011

North Country Trail

I really liked our campsite location at Red Bridge. We were right by the water and it kinda reminded me of Maine at low tide because the water was really low and all the rocks were exposed. I love the settings on my new camera because just by switching to a different setting I can get a totally different look where the lighting looks completely different. After getting up Sunday morning we fried up some hash for breakfast, broke down camp and headed out by 8am. It wasn’t sunny but at least the rain had stopped. We drove up the road for a bit to where the North Country trail crossed. I’d wanted to do the Nelse Run section because I’d heard it was one of the prettiest sections of the NCT. We didn’t hike very far but it was enough for me to realize that I will never be one to hike an entire National Scenic trail. Hiking the same path for months on end while hauling all my own supplies does not appeal to me.Here's Dad with his cane so I didn't want to drag him too far into the wilderness. Here's the only picture with the two of us:We made our way back to New York and (since I never like to drive the same road twice), decided to drive back through Allegheny State Park. Mom and Dad had taken us camping there when we were young and I didn’t remember it all. It was a gorgeous park and I would love to come back and enjoy one of their numerous camping cabins. We headed back up through Ellicotville and stopped at the Griffis Sculpture park which was an odd collection of random wooden sculptures that I didn't really get the point of.


We didn't spend too long at the creepy sculpture park and hit the road to get home by 2pm. Despite the rain, I really enjoyed this trip. Usually I wait until I get a three day weekend and then do a 1,000 mile road trip but this weekend trip made me realize I could have just as much fun exploring somewhat close to home (although it definitely helps that this was another National Park Site I could check off my list:) I just need to escape every once in a while and I don't always need 1,000 miles to do that.

No comments:

Post a Comment