May 4, 2011

More DC

After our tour of the Capitol we decided to stop by the Air and Space Museum. I’m not sure if it was because I had no water anymore but I was insanely thirsty at this point so our first stop was at the McDonald’s in the Air and Space Museum and where I got a large cups of Powerade. I downed most of mine in one sitting and then refilled it and stuck it in my purse to take along with me. This is the third time I’ve been to the Air and Space Museum and I still find it fascinating. The Wright Brothers just amaze me. I went to their NPS site in North Carolina in 2005 so it was cool to connect a lot of things I had learned there with what I saw at the Air and Space Museum.

Here I am with my boys Wilbur and Orville:The space stuff was really cool as well especially in light of the fact that the space program will soon cease manned flights.

Below is a replica of the Lunar landing. The lunar landers - officially called lunar modules - were designed to fly only in the vacuum of space. They did not have to be streamlined like an aircraft or carry a heat shield for protection during reentry. Once a lunar lander was launched into space, it could not return to Earth.Finally we had some fun in the gift shop. Here’s a picture of me donning the latest in aviator fashion.

We then journeyed back to the hotel passing by the Old Post Office Tower. All I knew was that it was a NPS site so that’s the main reason I wanted to walk by it. Scarcely used as a post office, it has been rehabilitated today into office and retail space shared by the federal government and private businesses.

We also passed by the J. Edgar Hoover FBI building.

No comments:

Post a Comment