October 27, 2010

Saint Gaudens and Quechee

Driving through New Hampshire I passed by this really cute covered bridge. Inside was a Shoppe! It was so cute and it smelled amazing. I drove on to New Hampshire's sole National Park site, Saint Gaudens passing one more covered bridge along the way. I had the address plugged into Jack and saw a sign for the site so I figured I was on my way. Then Jack told me to turn. So I did and ended up on one lane gravel roads! I passed gorgeous farms that personified New England in the fall: stone fences, cows grazing, dappled sunshine through the brilliant foliage, etc. So I couldn't be too mad at him. I rumbled into the parking lot and it was after 5pm so it was closed. I grabbed a brochure and took a few pictures to prove I was there. Augustus Saint-Gaudens is one of America’s greatest sculptors-allegedly.The mansion was covered in scaffolding so there wasn’t much to see. When I left there I went .2 miles down a gravel road and hit the highway that I had originally been driving down. Thanks Jack!

I drove out of New Hampshire and into Vermont. I passed by another cute little bridge. I love the sign above.One of my coworkers lived in Quechee and blew glass at the Simon Pearce studio and suggested I stop by. I was still in my yellow slicker and flip flops with my mud covered jeans and crazy hair when I walked in and I quickly went into the basement because I thought management was going to throw me out for my heinous appearance. The studio had a restaurant in it and there was glass everywhere and I did not feel comfortable. In the basement there was a glass blowing studio and a hydro electric room. I walked outside to see the waterfall that powered the place and it was insane! The hurricane had raised this river as well and I was actually scared to stand next to the thing because it was so powerful. It was like Niagara! There was also a cute little covered bridge. I was exhausted and desperately wanted to be out of my wet clothes so I went searching for my campsite. I considered staying in a motel again but everything was booked because it was a fall foliage weekend. Jack got me lost on the way to the campground. Every time this trip he’s been a few miles off. He needs updating I think. I called the campground and they directed me in. on the way I saw a pizza joint and because the sun was setting and I was miserable and hungry I stopped to get something to eat. By the time I arrived it was almost dark so I threw up my tent in record time by the light of my headlights. I dove in and scarfed down my meal. Except for a lone olive that I thought was a crouton (damn eating in the dark), it was delicious. I got into dry clothes and set off to find the bathroom. They are always centrally located in campgrounds but because it was off season there was only one apparently. After bushwhacking behind my campsite I couldn’t find the damn thing so I figured I’d look for light since bathrooms are always well lit. I stumbled into a few motor homes before I realized that’s probably not a good indicator. I finally located it in another loop and then had quite the time figuring out how to get back. I finally found my tent and settled in-warm and dry.

No comments:

Post a Comment