October 4, 2010

Acadia National Park

I wasn't expecting it to be so warm camping. I wore my Under Armour to bed and woke up in the middle of the night because the bottoms were cutting into my skin. Apparently I got too fat for my Under Armour. I stepped outside to go to the bathroom and was amazed at how warm and bright it was. The moon wasn't that bright but there was a glow to the warm air. The other mishap of the night was thanks to Vern (my cot). I enjoy him for his ability to convert to 6 different positions. However, I like to be in control of those conversions. In the middle of the night he decided to fall down into Position 5! After packing up in the morning I headed out to Bass Harbor Head lighthouse. It's the only lighthouse you can drive to Acadia. It was tiny and really cute. There was a little house and a lighthouse keeper still lives there year round with his family. My next stop was Pretty Marsh. It was beautiful. It's a picnic ground and there was no one else there. I scurried down the mountain to the rocky shores and it was absolutely quiet and still. All I could hear was the occasional sound of a loon. I could have stayed there a while but I still had to make it to the heart of Acadia. First though, I had to stop in Bar Harbor. It was a bustling touristy town. There was even a massive cruise ship docked off shore. I wandered along the waterfront and bought some blueberry iced tea and post cards. I was eager to get away from all the old people on tour buses. Acadia's main attraction is the 27 mile loop road. I meandered along, stopping at overlooks along the way. I parked at Sand Beach to do some hiking. In researching this trip I came across two insane trails in Acadia. Both featured iron rungs and climbing along cliff faces. I passed on the Precipice trail just because it was rainy and driving by I couldn't even see the mountain. I thought I could handle the Beehive though. It actually wasn't as scary as I thought. There were iron rungs nailed into the rock and I had to be very careful with the slipperiness from the rain but I relied on my arms a lot to haul me up. The views were incredible. I started heading back down the loop when I saw a sign for the Bowl. It wasn't too far away so I walked over that way. It was a really pretty pond surrounded by forest. It actually reminded me of Rocky Mountain National Park. I continued on to go back to Sand Beach when I saw a sign for Gorham Mountain. I had planned on hiking this anyway later but I figured I could come in from the back way. The views were amazing as well despite on and off rain. I finally made it back down to the loop road and decided to hike the Ocean Path down to Otter Point. The Ocean Path parallels the loop road and allows more opportunity to take some turnoffs and go play around on the rocks. At one point I saw people rock climbing down towards the ocean. Insanity! I also came across one point where there were washed up lobster points. This was the only place I saw them which I thought was odd. Thunder Hole wasn't very noisy because the tide was low. By the time I got to the end of the Path I realized it was a 2 mile walk back to my car. At least it was fairly level. Sand Beach was amazing because it is the only beach with sand in Acadia. I asked an older gentleman to take my picture and he asked where I was from and then patted me on the arm and wished me a happy trip. How nice. I hiked a lot but because it was around sea level so it was very easy. It started raining more so I decided to head to Blackwoods campground. I misread the map though and what I thought was a turnoff was actually a bridge OVER the road. It took me a bit out of the ways but oh well. Despite all the rain I had an amazing day. Maine just has this atmosphere that it so cool. The coast is rocky, the waves are pounding, the weather is temperate, the buoys are dinging, the foghorns are sounding and the loons are calling. I love it.

1 comment:

  1. Kelly writing that "Vern" dropped you into "position number 5" in the middle of the night, is probably the most scandelous thing you've written on your blog...or at least could be interpreted to be. :) The hike with the steep rock faces looks cool!

    ReplyDelete