July 18, 2010

Picture Rocks Part II

After I stopped running and put my shoes on, I continued on back to the trail-head. There was another waterfall from the same trail-head that I felt obligated to do even though by that point I had blisters and was limping. I was pounding along the trail with my head down when all of a sudden I heard a crash and I looked up and saw two bear cubs! I was not at all expecting bears in MI. Once again I am convinced Michigan is trying to kill all its tourists. Everywhere I've been where bears are even remotely possible in a 200 mile radius there are warning signs posted everywhere. I never saw one sign telling me there were bears. So either MI doesn't care to warn people or I saw some vagrant bears. I couldn't get my camera out quick enough to take pics. I didn't see a Mama bear so I hurried out of there. After I kept hiking I saw a family with kids hiking back so I told them I saw two cubs and they made some joke about it eating their children. BEARS ARE NO JOKE PEOPLE!! Cubs=Mama Bear. Mama Bear=Death. Idiots. I snapped a pic of Mosquito falls, turned around and stomped on back. My next stop was Miners Castle. It was stunning! It was just a few overlooks but it was so pretty. On my way to one of the overlooks 2 women in Indian getup were ahead of me and this little girl was coming from the other direction and she says as loud as she can "MOM LOOK THAT'S AN INDIAN!!" She then repeated her observation even louder when her parents tried to ignore her. I'm not sure if the lady understood what the girl was saying but she did notice that everyone was looking at her. How embarrassing. There was also a group of barefoot guys in bathing suits trying to figure out how to get back to their car. Apparently they had dove in 7 miles up the coast and swam on down, exploring caves along the way. Seriously, I thought I was a more intrepid tourist than most but these Yoopers got me beat. I stopped at one more overlook to get a view of the cliffs from the other side.
My last stop was one more waterfall, Munising Falls. They were right in town and were neat to see.
I couldn't walk on my right leg anymore and I was starving for some real food. So what's a girl to do in the Upper Peninsula? Why, grab a pasty of course! What is a pasty you ask? Well its chicken, onion, and potato in a pastry crust. Man, they are hearty! I found the last site at a 6 site campground and managed to get my tent up, limp off to the bathroom and collapse into my broken cot. At least I was full from my pasty.

No comments:

Post a Comment