July 7, 2010

4.5 days, 1700 miles

I just started work 3 weeks ago and I was pleased to find out that we had off from July 2nd-5th. To me, days off= roadtrip. I don't think I've ever really been on vacation in my entire life. Even when my parents would take us places as kids, each day would be so packed full of stuff to do and see that we usually came home even more exhausted than when we left. We even did Gettysburg and Washington D.C. in a weekend and I don't even know how that's possible with a family of 5! I just think there is so much to see and do in this world and you're not going to see much tanning your hide by a pool. So that's my "vacation" philosophy.Anyway, I had a couple destinations in mind but then I remembered that last year Grandma and Grandpa Doyle had gone to Mackinac Island in Michigan and loved it so I decided to go there. I also figured that this was the only time of year I would want to go to Michigan since in the winter it turned into a frozen wasteland. Well I don't know what to say about Michigan. It was gorgeous obviously but every night I went to bed and felt utterly exhausted and just glad I made it through. I'll get into more detail later on but suffice to say this was the most intense roadtrip I've done. Not even superseded by the GAT (which p.s. was one year ago. You can look to the archives of my blog on the right hand side of the page for the full recap)The trip started out badly because I didn't have Jack by my side. He was experiencing some functional difficulties so he had to go in for repair. Well apparently they just replaced him!! I plugged him in, eager to get going and who should start talking but some American bitch, Samantha. I wanted none of that so I sought Jack out and he was nowhere to be found! There wasn't even an American male option. I was stick with the snooty Australian Lee. I don't want some foreign guy giving me directions around America. Ugh, I miss my Jack :(
I went straight across Canada to save time and had no problems at the Canadian border. I crossed back into MI around 10:30 pm. I handed the border patrol guy my passport and he stepped back into his booth and said "so how many times have you been through my station today?" I didn't say anything because I didn't think he was talking to me. Then he yells "Ma'm!?" and I said "Oh, this is my first time... Why? Is there an initiation?" For some reason I tend to get saucy around authority figures, and it was made even worse by the fact that I had worked 9 hours and driven 5 hours so I was a bit punchy. Luckily, he didn't get mad he just said "You look familiar that's all". He handed me back my passport and said "Have a good night Mrs. Burns". I replied with "Thanks, it's Miss Burns". OMG! I sped out of there before I got detained. I drove another hour and crashed in Flint, MI for the night. What a way to start.

No comments:

Post a Comment