July 10, 2010

Mackinac Island


Friday morning I still had another 5.5 hours to go to get to Mackinac Island. I was exhausted when I got there. I have never driven so much on a roadtrip. My usual preference is to make lots of little stops along the way. Last summer I don't think I ever drove more than 4 hours in a day. But it was worth it when I got to Mackinac. I traveled up on the River Road scenic byway along the coast of Lake Huron which was pretty.
I stopped in Rogers City, MI to see the World Largest Limestone Quarry. I guess it was cool. I had to drive across the Mackinac Bridge which is America's longest suspension bridge at 5 miles long. It was pretty impressive. When I got to the end there was a toll bridge and when I pulled up to the window the toll agent said "you're all set". I said "excuse me?" and she told me that the guy in front of me had paid for me. I was too stunned to do anything so I drove away but when I came back Sunday I paid for the person behind me to keep paying it forward. I had just missed the ferry from St. Ignace so I wandered around the boardwalk and waited for the next one. I caught the 12:30 ferry. I heard the people behind me mention that they were considering going to a dude ranch next summer so I turned around and told them all about dude ranches. I couldn't resist spreading the good word. I shoved my way off the ferry and went straight to the bike shop. I should mention that Mackinac Island doesn't allow any motor vehicles so the only mode of transport is horse or bike. There's tons of hotels so all the guests have their bags loaded on wagons to be delivered while they ride in a horse drawn wagon. It's so idyllic. I went up to the bike rental window and told the girl to give me the cheapest thing that rolls. So she gave me this:It was so old school that I had to pedal backwards for brakes. My first stop was Arch Rock which was gorgeous. Mackinac has an 8 mile long road that goes along the perimeter so I pedaled along taking pics along the way. I was amazed at how blue and clear the water is! I stopped at the Little Stone Church which was really cute. I went up to the Grand Hotel which has the longest porch in the world. You have to pay to walk on it but I wandered around the front taking pictures. It was gorgeous. They also have a neat topiary of a horse drawn carriage.
I explored the stables as well which were quite fancy. I then raced down the hill on my bike to return it on time. I spent the rest of the day wandering around the village and exploring the little shops. I saw a huge freighter go by and bought some of their infamous fudge, vanilla pecan. Mmmmm :) One hotel had all these flags and kites flying in the air and it was really pretty. I caught the 5pm ferry back. I drove about an hour to my campground. I thought I would have to fight for a spot but it was nearly empty. I had a great site by a beautiful lake. I'm so glad I went to Mackinac. It was such a beautiful place (although I could have done without the strong downwind stench of horse manure).

2 comments:

  1. It looked like such a pleasant day out. I am jealous and wish I could have been there too. Riding a bike around such a beautiful island sounds great to me right now. So hot down here. That water is amazing! I had no idea. Now I want to go up there too!

    ReplyDelete
  2. A gentle backward pressure on the pedals will stop your "vintage" bike. Always worked for me!

    Your "vintage" Aunt Kathy

    ReplyDelete