June 30, 2009

Day 1: 506 miles





I'm currently sitting in the valley below the Grand Tetons outside a closed coffee shop at 6am in Kelly, Wyoming (that's the town's name, honest). Not much happened yesterday but I don't know when I'll next get Internet so I figured I'd write.

I was pretty upset yesterday leaving Max. I don't want him to feel like I'm abandoning him and it broke my heart for him to give me "that look". I know everyone at home will take really good care of him though. After crying all the way to the Wyoming border yesterday, I got settled into the monotony of driving through Wyoming. I ended up spending an hour at a post office in Rock Springs because I had to ship the last of my boxes. It took some strategizing but I got everything down to 3 flat rate boxes which saved a ton of money. The picture above of Bondurant was one of the many towns in Wyoming with a small population. Believe it or not, there were actually towns with smaller populations but I couldn't get my camera out in time.

I made it to Jackson Hole around 3pm. I wandered around downtown and got some postcards. The visitor center has a sod roof and is pretty cool. It rained off and on but I got my tent up during a dry spell. I actually had a good night. I was warm enough and in the morning I heard coyotes howling. Well I should get going because I have to leave my car running to charge my power inverter for my computer and I'm trying to save gas so I don't have to pay the outrageous national park prices.

1 comment:

  1. So if you moved to Bondurant, you would increase it's population an entire 1%. I'm glad you're off to a good start. I like that boat. Anyhow, Max is well. He is peeing on everythin.

    ReplyDelete