July 4, 2009

Grand Teton National Park

After posting my last blog I drove down Antelope Flats road and encountered some bison. Luckily they moved out of the road on their own accord. Besides a herd of elk way off in the distance, it was the only wildlife I saw all day. Later on at one of the visitor centers I saw video of bison and elk hurling themselves at cars. I don't want to be that car. I drove to an old homestead that is famous for adorning most everything to do with Grand Teton National Park. I got there right when the sun was rising so the light was amazing. It was impossible not to get a stunning picture. Right after that, a storm moved in and it poured and thundered. I don’t recall ever being in a thunderstorm at 7am. It was odd.

I fell in love with the Chapel of the Transfiguration (even if it is Episcopalian). The way it sets with the alter window looking over the Teton Range is gorgeous.

I headed down the road to the Jenny Lake Scenic Drive. I hiked up to Leigh Lake and it was cold and rainy but by the end of the hike it warmed up quick. Jenny Lake was so crystal clear; I stood on a bridge and watched the fishes swim around. I drove on and stopped at most of the overlooks because I just couldn’t get enough. The Tetons are so different from the Rockies in that they rise so abruptly from the valley floor and each peak is jagged and distinct. The still had tons of snow on them and even have glaciers nestled between the peaks.

I made a stop at the Jackson Dam and it was powerful! I didn’t realize that much water was pumped out for irrigation. I stopped at the Jackson Lake Lodge because it is a huge old lodge with massive windows overlooking the range. There were massive fireplaces and huge couches and it was so inviting, but alas I had to move on. I stopped at Colter Bay and did a 2.5 mile hike to Swan Lake and Heron Lake. I ended up behind a trail ride and the wrangler at the back asked me and a couple other hikers to hang back because “the horses don’t like it when people walk besides them on the trail”. Now, in my experience a trail horse should be able to handle riding by people in a torrential thunderstorm with gunfire overhead while crossing a stream, usually at a dead run. Maybe that’s just a Tarryall horse ;).

By this point I was pretty tired and decided to head up to Yellowstone. It took a while thanks to construction on the highway connecting the two parks. I actually had my car tuned off for about 30 minutes waiting for traffic because it was one way. I finally made it to the campsite and set up my tent and collapsed on my cot. I think I need to eat more. I wasn’t feeling very well. Luckily, Dad gave me his little propane cooker and I had soup ready in 5 minutes. I’m glad the Teton’s were my first stop. They were a heck of a kickoff to the trip (after Rock Springs, Wyoming of course, haha).

2 comments:

  1. Off the a great start. Those are some great pictures. Keep up the good posts. I look forward to them. Also, mom tells me you ate corn for dinner. You do need to eat more. Who drives hundreds of miles and hikes for miles and miles and then eats corn for dinner?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wonderful experiences Kelly! Ask your dad...I think the Church of the Transfiguration is one Grandma and Grandpa took us to as kids when we went out west. Don't they have a framed pic of it?
    Anyways...EAT girlie! You need your strength and a clear head to have all that fun! Auntie Kathy

    ReplyDelete