October 13, 2016

Big Bend: Chisos Basin

Sunrise
Sunrise











The morning dawned with a beautiful sunrise and I packed up and headed back into Chisos Basin. My first stop was the Lost Mine Trail. I read that the first mile was gorgeous but before I could start up the trail I noticed a black bear! I let him eat and he finally wandered far enough off that I set out.
Bear!
The hike was a gradual incline and the wildflowers and cactus were gorgeous to see. I learned so much flora at Geronimo that it was gratifying to be able to know what a lot of them were. The trail opened up at the one mile marker into one of the most gorgeous views I'd ever seen.
Lost Mine Trail
I sat on a rock and took tons of pictures and just tried to soak it all in. I finally got too windblown and had to head back down but it was a breathtaking hike and I'm so glad I did it.
Soaking in the sights
Lost Mine Trail
As I was making my way back down I had a family stop and say the bear was still there so I kept my eye out and sure enough he was right off the trail so I bushwhacked over to the road and got back in my car. The parking lot was already full so I'm glad I got down before it was too busy.
The Window
 At Chisos Basin I did the Chisos Basin Loop and the Window View trail. Both were short and offered nice glimpses of the Basin. It reminded me of a combination of Pinnacles in CA and Zion in UT.
Posing by The Window
The geology of the area is crazy to have this mountain oasis in the middle of the desert. There was WiFi at the lodge so I Skyped with Mom, Dad and Felix. I was trying to pan around and show them the view and Felix kept saying "where'd Aunt Kelly go!?" It was great to be able to see him and catch up while in the middle of a beautiful National Park.

Wildflowers on Chisos Basin

No comments:

Post a Comment