October 17, 2016

Big Bend: Castolon

Santa Elena from a distance
I left Chisos Basin and headed down the Ross Maxwell Scenic Drive to Castolon. I stopped at a couple of the vistas along the way and they were all stunning. Rio Grande, Chisos Basin and Castolon are the 3 main areas of the park and they are all so different. The geology on the way to Castolon is so gorgeous. There are just random peaks and uplifts everywhere. It was getting hot again so I decided to cruise past my hiking destinations and set up camp at Cottonwood Campground. It's only 24 sites but only a couple were taken so I got my pick. I chose one in the shade, set up my tent, and had a siesta in the heat of the day. It was still 95 degrees when I set out into Santa Elena Canyon.
 It is the quintessential shot of Big Bend with the river going through a narrow canyon so I was excited to hike it. The brochure made it seem like it was an easy 45 minute walk and it was anything but. I got to the edge of the river and it looked like there was a sand trail off to the right so I followed it but it tapered off to nowhere. I went back to the river and saw several other people looking across trying to figure out how to get across.
Santa Elena Canyon
I could see switchbacks and railings on the other side so I waited and saw a group of guys coming down so I thought I'd see where they came out. Half came out of the bushes and took their shoes off and waded across the creek. The bank was pretty steep so I went down to where the other group came out. I still had to take my shoes off but this was wading through mud versus water. After I got across there was nowhere to clean off so I just put my shoes and socks back on my mud covered legs.
Mud!
 I then had to duck crawl through mesquite bushes until I finally came out at the trail. I made my way up the switchbacks and walked along above the river. I saw a raft going by. The trail descended to the banks of the river and it was all shaded among boulders and foliage so it was nice to cool down. Finally I got to the end of the trail. It was a great view and so quiet in the bottom of the canyon with sheer walls surrounding me.
End of the trail
After I cooled down I made my way back out. I decided to come out at the water crossing and hidden in the bushes was the sign for the hiking trail. The bank is steep and eroded down into the creek you have to cross so I had a hard time believing this trail is called out in the park brochure. At least wading across I could wash the mud off of myself. Altough the Rio Grande is a pretty muddy river itself but at least its water. I made my way back to my campsite and cooked up some soup for dinner and relaxed under another stunning sunset.
The Mazda in Big Bend

No comments:

Post a Comment