July 25, 2016

Flora and Fauna

Turtle on the trail
Osprey screeching at us on the trail
With all the rain we've been getting there has been an abundance of flowers blooming and animals roaming around. On one of our rides we noted this amazing elk antler. Because it was so big and bulky we couldn't take it back via horse so I decided to hike out a couple days later and pick it up. Alas, someone else had somehow beat me to it. The tin miners descendants were having their annual vacation up in the mountains so I assume one of them snagged it. Next time I'll have to hide it better.
Awesome 5x5
However, the hike was worth it for many other reasons. When I was driving out to the trailhead I saw more javelina! I had seen some once before running away from us so it was nice to get a bit closer. Although up close they are pretty ugly :)
Javelina
I also got to see some gorgeous butterflies landing on the thistle that's starting to bloom. On the road to the Pottery Mesa I got to see mule deer one week and elk another week.
Mule deer
 I'm still getting up to speed on the names of all these flowers but every trail ride I feel like there's something new and different blooming so it keeps me on my toes!

Swallowtail
Rocky Mountain Bee Plant
Monarch
Thistle

No comments:

Post a Comment