July 21, 2014

Wheeling, WV and Oil City, PA

Wheeling, WV
The last day of my trip was primarily driving home but I made a few stops along the way. My first stop was to walk the riverfront in Wheeling, WV. There were some interpretive exhibits that told the story of how Wheeling came to be. I also drove through Oglebay Park which was huge and had all sorts of amenities like a gold course and ski hill. I drove to the visitor's center for the Rivers of Steel National Heritage Area in Homestead, PA but it wasn’t open so I drove over to the Rachel Carson homestead. It wasn’t open either but it had picnic tables so I heated up a can of soup and had lunch there.
Rachel Carson home
My last stop of the day was Oil Creek State Park. I hiked the Blood Farm Interpretive Trail which told the story of the farm that produced a lot of oil. The park is such a peaceful place that its hard to envision it as an oil boom town. The Petroleum Centre Walking Tour was fascinating to me. Numerous interpretive signs tell the story of a company town had no government, law enforcement, sanitation or public works. Apparently gold miners would come here after busting out West and be scared of how lawless this place was. I imagine it takes quite a lot to scare a 'forty niner'! I wasn’t too familiar with Pennsylvania’s oil history and found this park to be a great place to learn.

Blood Farm trail
I had a whirlwind of a trip but thanks to my impeccable planning and sense of timing I never felt overwhelmed. This is the first trip where I planned meals and bought a cooler so I ate like a queen everyday. I still have ~175 NPS sites left to see but I am down to only 8 states left. I am toying with setting the goal of reaching all 50 states by the age of 30 but with Hawaii and Alaska still on the list, I need to assess just how realistic that is. When did that ever stop me before ;)?

No comments:

Post a Comment