July 21, 2014

Cumberland Gap National Historical Park and Bluestone National Scenic River


Pinnacle Overlook
Tri State overlook

Thursday morning I wound my way up Skyland Road at Cumberland Gap National Historical Park. It’s a 4 mile road that has a couple stops along the way for activities such as picnics, hiking or learning about the Civil War in the area. It was really interesting to read the historical markers that showed how the mountain has looked over the years. In Civil War times the forest was clear cut for a mile down the mountain to offer unobstructed views. It’s fascinating to see how the forest recovers itself. The crown jewel of the road is at the end where Pinnacle Overlook offers a spectacular view over Kentucky, Virginia, and Tennessee. I had the overlooks to myself and it was a beautiful sight to behold as the mist was rising off the mountains.
 
I drove back down into the town of Cumberland Gap, TN for a quick stop at an old iron furnace before making my way to Gap Cave. The cave is only accessible by tour and was much more intimate and relaxed than Mammoth. Our awesome guide was a history major who was really passionate about the area so I learned a lot and even got to see some cave salamanders! There was much more water in this cave so there were tons of stalactites and stalagmites to behold.
I then wound my way up into West Virginia to grab a campsite at Bluestone State Park. After setting up my tent and eating dinner I backtracked a few miles to Pipestem State Park. The Bluestone National Scenic River cuts through both of these parks and the best access to it is the aerial tram at Pipestem. I hopped in and was whisked 1000 feet downhill in a matter of minutes.

Bluestone Lake
Tram

It is quite the thrill ride and you disembark at a quiet inn and restaurant. I wandered along the river banks, marveling at the stone sculptures along the way. After heading back up in the tram I hiked a couple short trails: one to Long Branch Lake and one to the Bolar Lookout tower which sits at 3,000 feet and offers a view of the area.


There is so much to do at Pipestem and it was such a peaceful park that I really enjoyed my evening there.

No comments:

Post a Comment