August 12, 2013

Geronimo Trail: Part 2

Before setting out on my last ride, I made sure to capture some shots of the ranch animals looking pretty:

The alarm clocks
One of many kitty's
My alert pony
After celebrating a peaceful July 4th (no fireworks, but homemade blueberry muffins!) we set out on my last day for another ride that I had never been on. This time the goal was Ant Hill. To get there we passed this gem of a wreck:
Apparently this is the car that Billy the Kid crashed ;)

The top of the hill offers spectacular views. It makes you realize just how small and alone you are when you look around and cannot see a sign of civilization as far as the  eye can see. No houses, no power lines, nothing.

Human intrusion always occurs though, this time in the form of old telegraph posts. I was grateful for this remnant of times past as it allowed us to take a shot of ourselves while still on our horses. Thanks GorillaPod!

The sun was shining bright on us but off in the distance were some storm clouds so we made our way back down to a safer elevation. On the way back to the ranch we passed by an elk who was not at all concerned with us. She was focused on eating. We got back just in time to beat another storm. Meris was joking that I could never leave because every day I had been there it had rained.  Alas, I did have to leave though and with a heavy heart. 
I had not been out West since I had moved back to New York and I had truly missed it. I was honestly a little afraid to go back because I thought it would be too emotional. Living in Colorado was filled with significant ups and downs but it really shaped me and it introduced me to some of my best friends in life. And it is friends like Meris that I am so grateful for. Her and Seth welcomed me with open arms and I am so thankful for them. I had one of the best weeks of my life and cannot wait to go back again soon.

All other friends may come and go, 
All other friendships fail; 
But these, the friends I've worked to win, 
Oh, they will never stale; 
And comfort me till Time shall write 
The finish to my tale.
~Robert Service



1 comment: