June 10, 2010

Gulf Coast Beaches

We left Orlando to go sun ourselves on the Gulf Coast. Jess's dad told her about Caladesi Island: a beautiful beach that you can only access by boat. Also voted one of America's Best Beaches by Dr. Beach (whoever that is). I had never entered a park before by boat only to be welcomed by a sign in the water. It was amazing! The water was 85 degrees and crystal clear. Luckily, Jess had prepped me beforehand with a beach safety talk so I didn't run and dive headfirst into the water. Instead, I calmly approached and shuffled my feet in up to my waist (because to be in the ocean above your waist=death apparently). It was an awesome beach! I finally figured out how to float. I think the saltwater had something to do with that. We combed the beach to look for shells. Jess found a beautiful shell but it still had live things inside it so we threw it back. We also found a live clam. There were tons of shells to choose from. I spent some more time splashing around in the ocean before we headed back to land.Our next stop was Clearwater, FL. We stopped for dinner and I got fried gator bites. I thought they tasted fine because I had nothing to compare it to but Jess was offended at how crappy it was. She wrote a scathing review on the comment card which I'm pretty sure made someone cry. We strolled along the boardwalk and then hung out on the pier. Apparently every evening there is a sunset festival and vendors and street performers come out to hock their wares. I couldn't resist being so close to that beautiful water again so I headed down to the beach to splash around some more. We ended up having a photo shoot because Jess can't capture motion. I had to jump about 20 times before she got a half decent shot. She blames my poor vertical but it's hard jumping on sand. I then tried cartwheeling and she did get a decent shot of that eventually. One weird thing I noticed about the beaches was that the sand sticks to your skin. Typically, sand just brushes off but this sand had tiny shell fragments and it clung to your skin even when trying to rinse off. I'm pretty sure I'm still brushing sand off me. Clouds ended up rolling in so we didn't get to see a great sunset but it was still really awesome to end a day at the beach.

1 comment:

  1. You have a 1/2 inch verticle. I swear. I have about a thousand pictures of it as proof. Maybe on day I'll video you jumping and break it down in slow mo to measure your crap-sorry jumpage skills.

    ReplyDelete