November 22, 2017

The Long Road Home: Day 4 and 5


Alley Mill
I finally started heading north and drove back into Missouri to Ozark National Scenic Riverways. I didn't realize that Arkansas had so many springs and that was the focus of this preserved area. I started out at Alley Spring and Mill. It's a beautiful old mill next to a large spring. My next stop was Round Spring.
Round Spring
Then it was on to Rocky Falls.
Rocky Falls

My last stop was Big Spring. It astounded me because there was just raging water seemingly out of nowhere but it must have been coming from underground.
Big Spring

Big Spring
It was really cool to check out all the springs but the Ozark site is so extensive that I had to drive a couple hours between all the sites. It is located in the Mark Twain National Forest so it was a lot of back country driving. The key fob for my car was acting up and I had to manually unlock it and then hold the fob up to the push button to start it. I was nervous to turn my car off since I wasn't in cell phone service so I just left it running while I checked out the springs. Luckily it was a Thursday in November so no one else was really around. I drove into Illinois to find a hotel for the night. The next day dawned cold and cloudy. 
Lincoln 
I drove to the Lincoln Boyhood Home in Indiana. I had been to other Lincoln sites in Kentucky and Illinois so it was nice to complete the story of his life with where he grew up. I remember reading a book when I was little about his mother, Nancy Hanks, and this is where she is buried. 
Lincoln Pioneer Home
They also have a pioneer home and farm. In the warmer months it is a living history farm but it was closed up for the winter. I made a slight detour into Kentucky and stopped at Frankfort to see the capital. The capital itself looked like others but it was located in a residential area which made it unique. It had a very quaint feel.
Frankfort, KY
My last stop of the day was Charles Young Buffalo Soldiers in Ohio. I had driven by it a few times but it was only designated a few years ago so it's not developed yet. They now have tours available upon request since the house does not yet have a fire suppression system. It's basically a short video and then walking around to pictures of him while an interpreter tells you about him. I'm glad I finally got to check it off my list. It was 4pm and I was only about 6.5 hours from home and my bed was calling my name so I decided to head for New York. I got stuck in traffic around Columbus for a little bit but then it was smooth sailing. I was in bed by 11 and it was soooooooooo good to be home!

No comments:

Post a Comment