February 8, 2017

snOw, Canada: Part 1

It has been a whirlwind since I got home in November and started back at KJT. I was so thankful that they wanted me back to help out and it was nice to get back in the rhythm of things. After I finished there, I decided I wanted some sort of vacation before I headed back to the ranch and the first thing that popped into my head was CANADA! Years ago, I had seen images of a beautiful ice skating trail that went through the woods and I had always wanted to go. So I bought a pair of ice skates on Craigslist and headed north.
Bracebridge
On my way up north I stopped in Bracebridge because they advertised having an outdoor skating trail. It was in a town park and was a figure eight that went around a gazebo and a war memorial. It was a picture perfect Canadian scene. However, the ice was really crappy and after I broke through twice into divots I decided to call it a day. Plus I hadn't been on skates in years so I figured it would be a good warm up. I continued on up to Huntsville where my hotel was. I checked in and had some soup for dinner before bundling up and heading out to Arrowhead Provincial Park. The ice skating trail is open occasionally during the evenings for Fire and Ice nights.
Fire and ice trail
They line the trail with tiki torches and you can skate at night. I got there just as the zamboni was coming off the ice so I was the first one on the trail. It quickly filled up though. I alternated between skating a few laps and taking time to warm up by the fire. It became insanely crowded and it got to be too difficult to navigate the couples skating hand in hand and the kids inching along. It was still very cool though.
Algonquin
The next day I headed up to Algonquin Provincial Park. I drove through to the east side of the park, monitoring the roads for moose because there were warning signs everywhere. I never saw one though.
All bundled up
I spent over an hour at the Visitor Centre because it had some beautiful exhibits. Their dioramas were excellent. I went across the street to Spruce Bog where there was a snowshoe trail. It went past 2 bogs and it was lightly snowing so it was a beautiful walk. I got back in my car and headed to Mew Lake campground, because I saw in the park guide that there was an ice rink there but when I arrived the roads were pretty snow covered and it looked deserted so I gave up on ice skating and went across the road to Two Rivers snowshoe trail. It was more of an uphill walk but it went along the ledge of a cliff so the views were a bit more open.
Some color in the vast whiteness
It's been a pretty mild winter down in NY so I haven't seen this amount of snow in awhile. Everything was just buried, it amazes me that things survive up here. There were a few other spots on the park guide that were indicated to be open for snowshoeing but none of the parking lots were plowed. Even Spruce Bog and Two Rivers weren't plowed but other people had driven through so it wasn't too awful. I was too nervous to attempt any other parking lots though because I didn't want to get stuck, You'd think with the amount of snow this place gets that they would be more adept at plowing. Even the hotel I stayed at didn't plow my whole stay.

No comments:

Post a Comment