July 10, 2015

Lakes to Locks Passage: Part 1

Thompson Lake
This past July 4th I was ambivalent about my destination. I had originally thought to drive the Lake to Locks passage but then the prison break happened and that would have put me right in the path of the search area. Luckily a few days before the long weekend they had taken care of the escapees so the coast was clear and I forged my plan. I left after work on Thursday to get a head start. I camped at Thompson Lake Campground outside of Albany and it was a relaxing spot.
Capital
WWII Memorial
The Egg
The next morning I headed into the heart of the capital. Being born and raised in NY I was a bit ashamed that I had never been to the capital, especially when I make it a point to visit state capitals in my travels. I had always bypassed Albany on the Thruway without a thought.
I walked around the Empire State Plaza and got to see the beautiful state capital and the various government buildings and memorials. I also got a peek at the executive mansion. With my guilt assuaged, I bounced around to a couple of historic mansions (Schuyler Mansion, Pruyn House, Van Schaick Mansion) before arriving at Cohoe's Falls.
Cohoe's Falls

There's a great park with interesting wayside exhibits explaining the history of the falls. I had never heard of the falls but they are regarded as second only to Niagara in NY and are pretty impressive. I continued down into the beautiful little town of Waterford where the Erie Canal intersects with the Hudson and the Mohawk rivers. I got to see a boat going through the locks and it was so cool. It makes me realize just how lucky I am to have the great Erie Canal flow through where I live because its a darn cool canal.
Waterford Lock
Saratoga
Schuyler House
My next stop was Saratoga National Park which I had last been to 6 years ago with my mom. It was over Thanksgiving so it was nice to now see the summer side of the park. I did the driving tour but after awhile it gets pretty boring to see the same old colored posts out in the fields.
I had never been to the Schuyler House or the Saratoga monument though and both of those were neat to visit. I made it to Schuyler's house in time for a tour and it was a cool house because the occupants over the years preserved much of the historical nature.
Saratoga monument
 The Saratoga monument was open to walk up and get a birds eye view of the area. As the day wound down I made one last stop at the Skene Manor which is a gorgeous old home that overlooks Whitehall, NY. I made my way to my campsite at Rogers Rock on the northern end of Lake George. The campground was massive and filled to capacity and I'm thankful I was able to grab the last spot 3 days before the holiday weekend.
Skene Manor

No comments:

Post a Comment