May 30, 2014

First State National Monument



Dover, DE

Monday morning I headed out bright and early because I was a long way from home. I stopped in Delaware at the sites of the First State National Monument. It is so new that there are no NPS facilities yet. I started out on The Green in Dover which is surrounded by the capitol complex. It was the prettiest government complex I’d seen with all the historic brick buildings. There is also Woodburn, the home of Delaware's governors since 1965 and Hall House, which serves as the Governor's guest house.
Woodburn

Hall House












My next stop was in New Castle and it was such a quaint little town. It is right on the water and the streets are cobblestoned with brick buildings. I really enjoyed strolling around.
Courthouse

Waterfront in New Castle

My last stop in Delaware was at Brandywine Creek State Park and it was stunning! There is a road up to a place called Hawk Watch where you have a view of the rolling hills, which are lined with low stone walls. It is quite picturesque so I decided it was a perfect place to heat up a can of soup and have lunch. I also did a short walk on a nature trail by the visitor center. I wish I had more time to spend here but it was already afternoon so I had to get going. 
Brandywine
Brandywine


An hour later I was stopping again at the Daniel Boone Homestead. It was actually closed but other people were parked outside the gate so I decided to go in and wander around. It was actually a much larger place then I imagined but without the ability to go in the buildings I didn’t really learn much.  

Daniel Boone Homestead

I finally hit the road for the final stretch towards home but I drove past a Cabela’s which I was not expecting and got waylaid for an hour there. I did manage to make it home by sunset. I had a wonderful weekend and am so glad I got to see a part of the country I had never visited before.


No comments:

Post a Comment