July 16, 2012

Indiana Dunes

I stopped for lunch at Historic Bridge park because the North Country Trail (a NPS trail) headed through there. Dad and I had checked out part of the trail in PA last year so it was nice to see another section (enough to make me realize I would never walk the entire thing). Anyway the park was full of old bridges which I thought was a really neat way to preserve history.

 I cruised west into Indiana and gained an hour with the time change. As I pulled up to the visitor center of the Indiana Dunes National Lakeshore I noticed that the clouds were rolling in and it was getting really dark. The ranger assured me that the visitor center was hurricane and tornado proof. My fears were not assuaged when someone mentioned tornado but it turns out it was just a severe thunderstorm warning. I waited the storm out by viewing a few visitor center films. Soon the rain had stopped so I headed out to Mt. Baldy where I waited a few more minutes for the thunder to stop before climbing a sand dune. 
The Indiana Dunes are unique in that they are a haven for biodiversity but the pristine lakeshore is ruined by nuclear reactors and other factories lining the distant shores. 

I also walked a quick dune loop and checked out the Bailley and Chelberg farm which I really liked. 

The Chelberg farm has a lot of maple sugaring equipment and does a lot of historical interpretation of that in the spring. They were both very well preserved houses and the storm had cleared people out so I was one of the only ones there. 

I don't know what this thing was (it's covered in dried flowers) but I thought it was so beautiful.

 I ended the day at Indiana Dunes state park by enjoying the beach. There was a group of people banging drums, chanting and doing some sort of Brazilian karate fighting dance. 


No comments:

Post a Comment