June 14, 2012

Saugus, Salem and Deer Island


After leaving Minute Man, my next stop was Saugus Iron Works. Sixteen years after the Puritans settled Boston, they built this impressive, large manufacturing complex. It recreates a 17th Century Iron Making operation. 
 
It was a really pretty location and there were only 2 other people there wandering around so it was really cool to check out. It's an excellent reproduction and hard to imagine how all that technology existed in the 1600's. 
Check out these huge bellows!








My next stop was Salem Maritime and it was one of the favorite parts of my trip. Salem is a great little town and so much fun to explore on foot. The architecture of the homes by the waterfront is really pretty.
Derby House
I really loved the Customs House.It looks so regal.
Customs House
I walked down to the old wharves where I finally learned what a knot was!

I saw signs for the House of Seven Gables. I hadn't read the book (by Hawthorne) but it was still an interesting house to see. I then wandered around and explored all the "witchy" stuff. Outside of the witch museum is some vintage stocks.
There's also a random statue of Samantha from Bewitched.

First church in Salem
Of course, there are also the graveyards. The spookiest thing I saw was at the witch memorial. In 1692, 14 women and 6 men were accused of being witches, were tried, convicted, and executed and this memorial is for them.
  
Most were hanged, but this poor guy was pressed to death.  
It's such a crazy time period but when you think about it, there are definitely parallels to many other eras in history. My last stop of the day was Deer Island. It is one of the Boston Harbor Islands and has quite the history. 
It overlooked the Boston skyline and Logan airport and it was so relaxing to sit by the water and see the planes coming and going. 
I drove on down to Wompatuck State Park to set up camp for the night. 

No comments:

Post a Comment