March 27, 2012

Key Largo, Islamadora and Bahia Honda

Day Four (Tuesday, March 13th):

The day before Jess had gotten a call from John Pennekamp state park that warned we may not be able to do our snorkel tour due to rough seas. The next morning we headed over first thing to the park and were told that tours were a go. After sorting through and fitting all our snorkel gear we boarded the Dolphin.
  
We had to head 5 miles out to the reef. The park is America’s first undersea park. Jess informed the crew that I was an experienced snorkeler (not referencing my one freshwater experience where half the time my snorkel was underwater) so with that we hopped right in. We swam around for about 45 minutes checking out the reef and all the creatures.

 I saw a huge lobster!

There were also some barracuda floating around.
 My favorite are the brightly colored fish.
  
After about 45 minutes I was pretty tired. There’s no place to stand and rest from the constantly pounding waves and I was chilled from the lack of sun even though the water was about 76 degrees. Upon getting back on the boat I immediately knew that I was going to be sick. I had managed to swallow some sea water while getting tossed about by the waves and it was not sitting well. Before the boat even left the snorkeling grounds I was bent over the side. Jess kindly captured my misery.I continued to be sick most of the ride back. As my head has lolling over the side of the boat the whole way I wasn’t aware what was going on with the rest of the boat but Jess informed me that 5 other people had gotten sick as well. Back on dry land, we headed down to Robbie’s of Islamadora where they are famous for their tarpon feedings. Basically you pay a couple bucks and go out to a small pen filled with massive tarpon and hope they snag your fish before the pelicans do. The pelicans were quite menacing and one even stole my fish and bit Lindsay! There were also tons of tarpon floating around the docks as well. I had never seen such massive fish. Tarpons grow to about 5–8 ft. long and weigh 80–280 lbs. I managed to get one to snag my fish so I felt accomplished.
Next up was relaxing on the beach at Bahia Honda State Park.
The 2.5-mile natural, white sand beach was rated the #1 beach in 1992 in the United States by "Dr. Beach" Stephen Leatherman (the first Florida beach to be so honored).
The wildlife was great here as Lindsay and I saw an iguana and then we also saw a couple of manatees by the docks. I had never seen manatees in the wild before so that was really exciting. 
  
Bahia Honda is most famous for the old bridge. Henry Flagler's Florida East Coast Railway once ran through the present parkland to Key West. It was destroyed by the severe Labor Day Hurricane of 1935. Later, the railroad bridge foundations were used to build the Overseas Highway, which became U.S. 1. You can walk out on part of the old Bahia Honda Bridge which has a great panoramic view of the islands.

No comments:

Post a Comment