August 14, 2011

Weir Farm and Upper Delaware

I made a quick stop at Hammonnasset Beach before I left the campground and then headed out. I guess I didn’t realize how close I was to New York City but it dawned on me when I hit heavy traffic on my way out of Connecticut. It wasn’t too slow but definitely heavy. One thing I found really odd about Connecticut was that their roads were small! One expressway I was on even had signs restricting the size of vehicles because the roads were narrow. Also there were a lot of trees so they seemed small and cramped. I headed off the main roads on my way to the Weir Farm National Historic Site. The roads up to it were also small and tree lined but very curvy. Weir Farm commemorates the life and work of J. Alden Weir, the American impressionist painter and member of the Cos Cob Art Colony. It was a very scenic spot and I spent time walking the wooded trails and enjoying the quaint farm buildings. There was a short hike out to a pond which I really liked. Another trail led off to a “waterfall” which was inflated marketing at its best because I didn't find more than a trickle. Weir Farm is the only NPS site in CT and although I couldn’t go inside any of the buildings I still very much enjoyed the quiet, peaceful atmosphere. Leaving the Weir Farm, I made my way into New York to finish off the last portion of the Delaware River. I drove the Lower and Middle Delaware on my Memorial Day trip and for some reason didn’t finish out the Upper Part. It traveled from Port Jervis to Hancock, NY. Because it was a Tuesday afternoon there wasn’t much traffic at all and I had the rural highway to myself. I went to the Zane Grey Museum. It is located in the building which was home for the prolific western author between 1914 and 1918. It is in a really quiet spot across the Roebling Bridge and one of the prettiest places I’ve been. I had no idea Zane Grey was from PA and his house was decorated in a distinctly Southwestern motif which I found really unique since its in the Northeast. I then explored the Roebling Bridge. John Roebling's Delaware Aqueduct on the D&H Canal later became the Roebling Bridge.

Roebling is actually famous for his wire rope suspension bridge designs, in particular, the design of the Brooklyn Bridge. Roebling's Delaware Aqueduct is the oldest existing wire suspension bridge in the United States. But there are no wires you say! They are actually covered and protected from the elements to preserve them. It was probably the most interesting bridge I’ve ever seen. It’s just crazy how boats used to go across it and now it’s used for land traffic. I really liked this spot. After all that, it was time for me to head home. A great end to a great July 4th weekend!

2 comments:

  1. That was a pretty spot. Bit by bit you are conquering new England!

    ReplyDelete