February 5, 2011

Welcome to the tundra!

After my New Year’s disaster I’ve been laying low around home which is just as well since it hasn’t stopped snowing or gotten above freezing in weeks here. My Aunt bought some snowshoes so we’ve been going out on some short snowshoe treks around the back 40. I did one long snowshoe trip with the dogs out in the back fields which I enjoyed (probably because I was trespassing) but I forgot to take my camera.
Despite all the snow and cold I feel like this winter has been remarkably sunny which is a great redeeming quality. One of the days when it was around zero degrees I thought the setting sun was casting a really pretty light so I took the dogs out for a quick photo shoot. I really do have the prettiest puppies.
Last weekend, in honor of Kyle’s golden birthday, I decided that we would all go sledding. Over the years we’ve lost most of our sleds so all that’s left is a pink saucer that no one ever wanted and my vintage purple sled that is at least 15 years old. I asked Don to stop and grab some sleds on the way home from school one day and he went to Gander Mountain, Toys R Us, and Wal-Mart and there wasn’t a sled to be found! WTF!? This is winter in Rochester for goodness sakes!Anyway he found 2 saucers at the local dollar store and I found a luge sled at the local hardware store so we were set. Sunday we headed out to Mendon Ponds where we always went as children. There was no one on the hill when we arrived and we had a blast. The new saucers were amazing! I of course quickly got bored with the regular hills (despite their bumps and jumps) and decided we should go off into the woods and add some danger to the mix. I was filming Amber’s run through the trees when Don gave her these loving words of encouragement: “don’t get dead”. She did end up bending in half to sail under a giant bush but she made it (despite the evidence in the picture below). I then upped the ante by zooming down a hill of freshly fallen snow in the woods only to be abruptly stopped by a fallen limb. I have no idea how I didn’t get impaled. I stuck to groomed territory after that.
We also brought along the tube we used to tow behind the boat. With no boat, it is now a snow tube. Or it would be if it didn’t have a loose nylon skin surrounding the tube. Don said it wasn’t working on the snow but I didn’t believe him so I grabbed it and took off running figuring all it needed was momentum. Well I made a flying leap and instead of sailing down the hill, the tube remained planted and I instead went flying ass over bundle down the hill. So much for that.Finally, this weekend we had a family shooting match. We didn't get out the trap shooter and instead relied on the hand thrower.I decided I would try my hand at throwing but quickly got fired from that job after I launched a clay into the hanger and then smashed one into the windsock pole. I blame it on my gloves and the fact that I was doing it left-handed.
I tried my hand at shooting as well. I called it a success to have the bullet leave the gun and didn't even try to aim at a pigeon. I'm a much better shot with pistols than with these big contraptions. The boys did really good though (except Kyle but the gun he was using was the one he received on his first birthday so maybe that's why).

No comments:

Post a Comment