December 23, 2010

Last of Thanksgiving

After my tour of Friendship Hill, I headed back to my car, scarfed down an old Thanksgiving roll and drove to a trailhead on the property. The snow had stopped so I decided to do some hiking. I went on a lovely stroll through the woods and came across an old graveyard. On the way back I saw a pastoral scene of deer grazing in the snow covered woods. Then I came across this

WHAT!!!?? I hiked the same trail out and back and did not see this on the way out. At first I thought it was trash caught in the tree so I walked over and freaked out when I saw this bird (obviously not too freaked out because I stopped to take pictures) but then I heard gunshots and realized I was wearing a white scarf (not good for deer season) so I hightailed it out of there. Seriously, that had to be done by a human. There’s no way a bird could just naturally die like that.

It was starting to get dark so once again I started calling around to hotels using the numbers Jack gave me. I dialed this one number and instead of getting a switchboard or a person using a standard hotel getting this guy says hello. I paused for a second and then said “is this the Interstate Motel?” Without missing a beat he says “No, but it can be”. I hung up on him but I was laughing pretty hard. He’s a quippy one.

I passed a lovely night at the hotel and was glad to see the sunshine Sunday morning. I drove back through Jamestown, NY because I wanted to stop and see the Ribaudo’s (friends from Keuka). It was so nice to see them doing well and their dog is the cutest thing. After that it all went downhill because it took me 4 hours to get home. The traffic was terrible! I was listening to the Bills game on the radio so I knew it wasn’t because of Bills traffic. It wasn’t snowing so it couldn't be the weather. I guess it was just volume from the holiday weekend. I was in stop and go traffic from Buffalo and the worst part was, there wasn’t even an accident on my side! The accident was on the west bound side. Finally around Leroy the traffic cleared up and I made it home. I guess I can’t complain too much because 2 days later Buffalo was slammed by snow and people were struck in drifts of snow on the Thruway for 24 hours. Happy Thanksgiving!

No comments:

Post a Comment