September 14, 2010

Mt. Arab, Owl's Head Mountain, Buttermilk Falls, Long Lake

Well the good news is that I stayed warm last night. Thank goodness for my bedroll. As much as I miss my old cot (protruding metal bars and all), Vern (the new cot) is treating me just fine and I think it may be time to say goodbye to Ol’ Blue. I had a relaxing day planned (only 9 miles of hiking) so I took my time making breakfast and breaking camp. My first stop was Mt. Arab. Don used to go camping at Massaweepie Scout Camp and they would always hike up Mt. Arab and he recommended it highly. It was less than a mile to the top and had amazing views. I saw the fire tower and then realized there was a cabin as well. I warily approached it, not wanting to disturb anyone when I saw the following sign:

OK I won’t break in. Well it was the day before Labor Day and no one was there so I headed on up the fire tower and enjoyed the unobstructed views all by myself. This tower had windows in it but they were latched so you could swing them open and get some great pictures. When I got home I was showing Don pictures and he pointed out that the main lake you see from the tower is shaped like a fish. On the way down the trail a guy asked if I was from Rochester. I thought maybe he had read it on my fleece but you would have to be staring pretty hard at my chest to make out RIT. He then said he had seen Rochester on the trail register and I felt relieved. I headed over to Lake Eaton to set up camp. I had gotten there early but luckily my site was available. The fire was still smoking from the people who had just left. It was a beautiful campground. I set up camp, struggling with my tent again. The soil was sandier here and my tent stakes wouldn’t go in. I had forgotten a hammer and couldn’t find a small rock so I settled on using a can of pineapple (with a pull tab top by the way). It worked but that can of pineapple will never be the same.

My next hike was up Owl’s Head Mountain. There was a trail that connected to the campsite but it would be about 12 miles roundtrip. I decided to drive to the trailhead and make it only 7 miles roundtrip. It was a fairly steady climb uphill over rocks. I was hiking up and getting winded and I saw a pair of older ladies on their way down. I asked them how much further and they said “Quite a ways. And there’s a boulder blocking the trail!” I instantly doubted them because I find it hard to believe that a boulder had so completely obstructed a trail that there wouldn’t be a sign warning of it (the Adirondacks are very well labeled). Even if it were true there’s no such thing as blocking the trail. There's always a way to the top. I had my sights set on that fire tower and nothing was going to stop me. I finally reached said boulder and found it quite surmountable. I swung myself up on a tree limb and continued on over many more just like it. I finally reached the tower and immediately climbed up. The views were gorgeous. This one was open so I could take clear pictures all the way around. I climbed back down and sat on the rocks eating my trail bar. A couple with some dogs came up and I asked them to take my picture. When I got home I realized that the dog was in the picture with me. Nice. I ended up talking with them for a bit because she saw Rochester on the trail register and mentioned that she taught at Geneseo (a local college) and lived in Swain (a ski town). On the way down I cut over on a spur trail to the shores of Lake Eaton. I wish I had taken my binoculars, I probably could have seen my campsite on the opposite shore. On the way back I passed by a family and the woman turns around and shouts to me “Geneseo!?” Apparently she had seen the sticker on the car of the lady I had talked to on top. I said “Nope, RIT. Geneseo is at the summit”. By the time I got back to my car I was exhausted and hungry. I chowed down on some cheese and crackers and headed over to Buttermilk Falls. This was just a roadside falls so no hiking involved. On the way back through Long Lake I stopped and got some postcards and then hung around the lakeshore taking photos of the float planes. I have always loved float planes and would love to go up in one someday. Only a few lakes allow them. I got back to my campsite and fired up some quesadillas (I didn’t have the strength to fight another can of soup). I went for a walk down to the swing set I had passed earlier and enjoyed the sunset. I got some awesome pictures of my silhouette. I think I look like Ariel in the Little Mermaid when King Triton changes her and she walks out of the water all sparkly. It was getting chilly so I headed back to camp. I wanted to enjoy the lake so I grabbed my lawn chair and fleece blanket and curled up to read on the lakeshore. I must have looked pitiful because the guy in the campsite next to mine came over and asked if I wanted to come over and “chill” around his fire. I was tempted but I was in the middle of a great book and then I realized he was with his dad so it would be weird. Once again the rains came and I went to bed at 8:00.

2 comments:

  1. I love the "theres no such thing as blocking the trail" line. Also, wow. Who reads trail logs? I've never heard of such a thing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. wow, two for two. I'm still laughing uncontrollably. I love your nonchalance = you "found it quite surmountable"

    ReplyDelete