August 29, 2010

I Still Blog




Well it’s been a while since I last posted but I think of this blog as a place to chronicle my travels and I don’t consider traveling to Honeoye Falls every day an epic journey (beautiful though it may be). But Jess told me my blog is gathering dust so I had to think of some things to say. If you want a more consistent and hysterical blog to read, head over to Jess's blog.
http://www.adventureswithjessica.blogspot.com/
I can’t believe summer is almost over. Ever since I started work, time has just been flying by. I have managed to do some fun things though. My proudest accomplishment is finally getting my parents to update our house. Nothing has changed since I was born and I’ve been harping for years that we need a change. However they see "renovating" as picking the same color paint and putting a new coat on. So far we’ve managed to get some paint up in the living room and computer room and the carpets have been ripped out of those rooms and new floor is in. No more 80's brown carpet, now we have beautiful oak laminate. It look so much better and everything looks much bigger. We did get one bathroom painted with a nice new shower curtain that I picked out and they approved.A few weeks ago I headed off to Syracuse with my Grandma, Aunt and cousin to take in the Central New York Scottish Games. I used to go every summer when I was little and it was great to go back. I got to hear some amazing bands, watch some hot men throw cabers and eat a bridie.Last weekend I went to my first RIT Alumni event. They offered cheap tickets to Seabreeze, a local amusement park, so I rounded up Kyle, Devin, Don, Amber, and Kurt and headed out. My cousin Ted was there for his company picnic so we were quite the impressive gang. I had so much fun. I hadn’t been to Seabreeze since high school and it was great to feel like a kid again. They have a new coaster that spins around as it flies around the track so you never know which way you’re going next. They also have the Music Express where you sit in a car and go flying around in a circle while music plays. The first time I was on the inside and with the centrifugal force, I was thrown into Ted who was subsequently thrown into Kurt. They complained that I squished them but I maintained that I couldn’t help it. So to get back at me, we hopped on again and this time I had to sit on the outside. OMG. I was nearly folded in half. As soon as the ride picked up speed both of them threw themselves across the seat and with the added force of the speeding track I was half out of my seat and falling off the cart. I’m pretty sure my shoulders touched, that’s how squished I was. We went to the water park after and my entire left side was red. Thanks a lot cousins. My favorite part of this summer has been digging through my Grandpa Burns’ old things and discovering tons of family history. I uncovered about 52 reels of old 8mm film and a projector that still works! That thing probably hadn’t been fired up in 20 years and everything worked like a charm (thanks Kodak). There was tons of video of when our homestead was a thriving farm (combining, chickens, hay, etc), when my dad and aunt and uncles graduated, got first communion, went swimming. There’s all their vacation footage from FL, MD, MI, WV, WY, SD, MT (recognize those states? Yeah pretty much everywhere I’ve been, my Dad had been first.) It’s amazing to watch. My favorite is when my Aunt is graduating high school and she’s trying to pose in front of the house with my dad and uncles and they want nothing to do with it and they all get into a shoving match. Classic! It’s really neat to see how our property used to look in the old days and how much has changed. I just dropped them off to a transfer place so we should get them all on DVD in 6 weeks. The above letterhead is from my Grandpa’s business. I also found my grandma’s wedding planner book (down to what the bouquets were and what her outfits were). Now I know where I get my insane organizational skills from. I also went to Boulder Coffee to see Lucas Carpenter. My sister in law went to high school with him and introduced me to his music and he is insanely talented. Usually I don’t enjoy live performances but he does this thing called looping and he is amazingly skilled (plus he has a really engaging personality that makes it fun). Check him out here
http://www.myspace.com/lucascarpenter

No comments:

Post a Comment