September 27, 2009

Grand Geyser

I waited forever for this freakin thing to go off! Yellowstone has a prediction board for all the geysers in the Old Faithful basin that go off on a semi-regular basis. Some are very predictable while others have a 12 hour window of when it may go off. Grand has a window of about four hours. People start lining the boardwalk hours before as Grand is supposed to be one of the best to see. I managed to find a spot in the shade but so many people ended up coming that I didn't want to lose my spot so I waited for an hour and a half. The water in the pools is constantly filling up and overflowing and people would get excited when a splash of water would pop up. That trick got me the first few times but after awhile I just turned around and said "don't get excited, it's done that 5 times already" It was pretty awesome though and I'm glad I waited. It went off in a big jet, spewed for a while and then went off in a big jet again.

No comments:

Post a Comment