October 3, 2009

Autumn in New York


Blogging is hard when I'm not changing states every two days. Nothing else is quite as interesting as a six week road trip across America. I'll just talk about my feelings instead ;) I was really excited when I got home to settle in and get started on grad school but now I'm itching to run again. I've started to post videos on here and on my Facebook page of my trip and it's great to relive my trip and remember where I was and how I was feeling. I've been watching Ken Burns' National Parks documentary and found myself quoting along with the history of the parks. I still managed to learn a lot though. Like the fact that I am obsessed with John Muir. The one souvenir (other than postcards) that I bought on this road trip was a shirt with the Blue Ridge Mountains on it and it has a quote from John Muir that says "The mountains are calling and I must go". It's amazing that before we even had all of the States in the Union, people were calling on the government to preserve pieces of land and it was mostly on account of these individuals that we got National Parks. A lot of the focus was on Yosemite and that is my next goal because I've pretty much done every other "big" park in the system and everyone talks about how beautiful and transcendent it is. For me that park was Glacier. I spent a day on both sides of Glacier in Canada and Montana and every inch of it was breathtaking. I can't even put into words how gorgeous Going to the Sun road is. Even pictures can't do it justice. It's the one park I would recommend everyone see if they ever have the opportunity. If there was one park I could return to, that would definitely be it.
I think my main problem with grad school is my lack of motivation. The only reason I came back was because my transfer credits were about to expire. If I didn't do it now, I would end up having to go two years and you know me, I can't pass up a deal. The other problem is that I worked my ass of in undergrad, even getting a 4.0 and graduating with honors but that didn't mean crap in my 2 years of looking for a "real" job. Nobody gave a damn that I was magna cum laude, they were looking for experience. I'm glad I am working at RIT though, I've met a lot of cool people. I blew through Keuka looking to get out with the best grades in the shortest amount of time so it's really nice to get involved on campus.
I had delusions of taking lots of road trips while I was back East since I haven't been to a lot of New England. Well turns out I have no time for that. I barely see my family, let alone another state line. I was able to take Max and Abbie out back the other weekend though. Some idiot's been messing around with the land back there and changing some things up and posting signs and gates but I strolled through because I have a blatant disregard for no trespassing signs. I absolutely love fall and it was beautiful with the changing leaves and the corn fields. Mom, Dad, Kyle, Devin and I headed up to the Genesee Country Museum for the Agricultural Society fair where we got the Christmas ham.
I have been a little under the weather all week and now the only remnant left is a 1-900 voice. I went to the Roost with Don and some of his friends and was sounding rough by the end of the night. However, I haven't laughed that hard in a long time. Don and Aaron joined Crystal and I on the dance floor for the cupid shuffle. Now if you don't know how Don dances, you can't full appreciate the image of him shaking it on the dance floor. He is completely uninhibited and has this loose, hip swaying, ungainly way of moving and it's hysterical. I had a lot of fun. For my birthday Kyle and Devin took me to the Lockport Caves. I grew up along the Erie Canal and had no idea about these caves. Although, I should clarify that they weren't caves per se. They are old pen stock pipes that went into an old diversion tunnel. It was still really cool though. Our guide knew a lot and we even got to go on a boat ride underground. The upside down railroad bridge was built that way to prevent bigger boats from coming through. This was a way the railroads could prevent the Erie Canal from taking even more of their business.

2 comments:

  1. Well you may not be crossing all those state lines but I am just as entertained as ever. I'll have to look some more but do you know if there is a way for the blog to email me when you've posted so I don't miss it?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Christmas ham? I'll be there! Let me know when you want to do Yosemite. My dad keeps razzing me about that damn half-dome. I'm thinking Vegas, death Valley, Yosemite, Kings Canyon, Hollywood, Napa. Sound like a road trip? I'll rent a convertable :)

    ReplyDelete